Do you love jazz? Have you been looking for a volunteer opportunity that involves more than stuffing envelopes? Would you like a flexible volunteer schedule? At the Louis Armstrong House Museum & Archives you can start training as a volunteer today. Interact with visitors from all over the world and work with other dedicated staff members. Volunteers are the heart of our organization and assist in many ways.
During COVID-19, our tour guides have continued to meet regularly with one another and House Museum staff in order to sustain community. Find out more about how you can join us below.
REAL AMBASSADORS DOCENT PROGRAM
The Louis Armstrong House Museum offers a Docent Training program that will expose participants to the exciting history of Louis Armstrong, jazz music, and twentieth century arts & culture. It is addressed to early career historians, jazz enthusiasts, teaching artists, educators, and retired educators who would like to gain experience in these fields and interact with diverse audiences. The group will have a chance to learn from experienced Museum Staff, Educators, and recognized speakers in the Jazz and History fields.
This 10-month program runs from June 2023 to March 2024 with a two-week break in December. Up to four (4) applicants will be selected to join the 2023-2024 cohort. The program will offer a letter of completion to each participant that has met the minimum requirements.
- Docents must commit to volunteer at least 2 museum days per month on a 10am-4pm schedule between Wednesday-Saturday.
- Docents should be able to attend at least 7 of 10 lectures offered through the program.
- Docents should have a demonstrated ability to adapt to the changing life of the museum and work in harmony with others.
How to Apply
To apply, please send a letter of interest (approximately 400 words) and fill out the application form. Applications are now closed. Please, check back later for the next round of applications.
- A collective learning experience in the jazz field.
- Invitation to performances and recognized Arts organizations events.
- Complimentary admission to over 100 museums in NYC.
- A Docent Appreciation celebration.
- Docents are expected to meet the organization values of excellence and community.
- Docents should demonstrate an ability to solve conflict through healthy communication that is direct, respectful, and cordial.
- Docents contribute to a collaborative and supportive team environment.
- The museum welcomes diversity and a safe environment for all.
May 16 | Information Session. Register here to learn more about the program (Meeting link upon registration.)
May 31 | Application Deadline (extended to June 5).
June 10 | Selected applicants announced.
June 15 | Program begins. Orientation meeting.
June 22 | Group training session.
June 22-24 | Training (participants choose one day on this week).